Thursday, May 11, 2006

Peter said I have to write something

Not sure what I should write here. I like South Africa. The place we’re staying is called Somerset West, which is about 40 minutes from Cape Town. There are mountains on two sides, and ocean on the third. It’s stinking hot. The place we’re working in is this big township for poor black people called Lwandle. Some of it is these little duplex things that the government is building, and part of it is super-tiny shacks made of pieces of tin and whatever. The strangest thing about working there is that the people are really big on dressing well, so poor people spend money on nice clothes instead of food. Half the people at the job site dig ditches and lay bricks in nicer clothes than I wear to church, and then they change into their good clothes right away after work before riding the taxi home. Taxis here are more like busses – twelve-seater vans that run on a route and drop people off on the way. They cost about a dollar. So far we’re the only white people I’ve seen riding the taxi, and probably 90% of the people driving cars are white. Everyone here is really polite and nice to each other, but apparently all the different racial groups really don’t like each other. But I won’t get into the race thing here and now. I don’t really understand it at all. Those are my scattered thoughts for today.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

hey jacob,
thanks for writing. that stuff about them dressing well seems weird. i always prefer food over a nice pair of slacks