Sunday, June 04, 2006

Tristan is a Friggen Genius

So far we've gone to a different church every week. For some reason all of them so far have been more or less charismatic. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with charismaticism. I can't really get into the whole jumping around, "Praise the Lord! Thank you Jesus!" thing, but I like that other people seem to feel this way, and I like watching them get excited about God. On the other hand, sometimes these services feel more like pep rallies than worship, and I can't help but wonder if people should (or even can) feel as jubilant and passionate about God every day as some of these churches try to.

The reason I bring this up is that last night Tristan coined the word "charis-manic" to describe one of these churches. I thought that was tremendously clever.

In other news, we leave for Johannesburg in about an hour to visit Tristan's rellies. (Am I the first to call relatives "rellies"? I'm kind of afraid I stole that from someone.) From there we're planning to go to Botswana for a bit to help some missionary build a church and hopefully ride elephants and/or see God. (Apparently Botswana is more Africa-ish than South Africa.) The whole trip will take about a week and a half. You can pray that it'll be worthwhile.

Love to all.

No comments: